An American Institution
The Girl Scouts of the USA is the nation’s preeminent organization dedicated solely to girls. More than 3 million strong, GSUSA builds girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place.
The Girl Scouts revised both their programming and advertising to better engage girls today. To support this shift, Laurel Richie, GSUSA Senior VP/Chief Marketing Officer, approached OCD to reassess their identity.
The original pointed trefoil was never fully abandoned by GSUSA; it co-existed with the softened trefoil. For consistency, we needed to create one shape that worked across the whole system and, for meaning, we needed to infuse youth and power into the profiles. We collaborated with two illustrators to get it right: Joe Finocchiaro and Jasper Goodall.
1. Bangs help differentiate and age down the three girls.
2. The more perky nose is also more youthful.
3. Adding tension to the lips brings the girls alive.
4. And simplifying the neck makes the mark stronger.
5. The pointed trefoil begins to setup a unified system.
The everyday GSUSA workhorse typeface is Omnes. The letterforms share several characteristics with the trefoil and the ital is just delightful.
- The dense letterform echoes the solid trefoil.
- The curve of the valleys are mirrored.
- And the peaks are common to both forms.